EstonianRussianEnglish
Brief history of the Tallinn UMC
The Tallinn congregation was established on 3 March 1922. The founders were Martin Prikask, Superintendent of the Baltic and Slavic Mission Conference George A. Simons and Vladimir Rafalovsky. At first worship services were held in the assembly hall of the Tallinn Technical School in Pikk Street, later rooms were acquired at 19 Suur-Pärnu Road.The opening ceremony of the church building of the Tallinn Church I at 4a Veerenni Street was held on 24 March 1929, the building became the property of the Methodists only on 21 November 1930. The Veerenni church was destroyed during the bombing of Tallinn on 9 March 1944. At first the Tallinn congregation had two branches: Nissi and Harju-Madise.
For a short period of time, after World War II, when the Veerenni church had been destroyed, the Methodists started to meet at the Sitsi or Petlemma church located in the Kopli district. The Tallinn-Kopli or the Tallinn Church II was founded in summer 1927 by Adalgoth Seck, minister of German descent. At first the people met at the cinema hall of the Sitsi Factory and later, for a shorter period of time, in other rented rooms. In August 1934 the construction of the church building was started at 92a Kopli Street that was consecrated on 27 January 1935. At the beginning of 1940 preacher Hugo Oengo was appointed acting pastor of the Tallinn Church II to replace A. Seck who had departed for Germany. The last worship service in the Petlemma church was held on 9 July 1950 as the building was forcibly expropriated by the Soviets and a military radio station was set up in the building. In 1991 the church building was torn down without asking permission from its former owners.

Since 16 July 1950 the united congregation of Tallinn could use the sanctuary of the Seventh Day Adventists at 3, Mere Puiestee Street as subtenant and the congregation met there for 50 years.
In addition to other music groups of the church, the first Estonian gospel group using electrical music inst-ruments was formed there by youth pastor Jaanus Kärner. The gospel group Sela started with eight members in 1968 and got its name from superintendent Aleksander Kuum who, like Hugo Oengo, supported the activity of the young people in every way. As a result of the Sela ministry God gave a revival among the Estonian young people at the beginning of the 1970s that spread into different places of Estonia.

The music group Sela has continued its activity until present day. The Sela revival brought along persecution in the Soviet period. The KGB started to pursue the leader of the music group Jaanus Kärner. Several young people, who had decided to follow Christ, had to suffer various repressions, including arrests.

The lot at 51 Narva Road was consecrated for the new church building of the Tallinn UMC on 28 May 1994, the cornerstone was laid on 1 October 1994 during the World Methodist Council Executive Meeting in Tallinn, Estonia and the sanctuary was consecrated on 10 September 2000. The authors of the project were Vilen Künnapu and Ain Padrik. The building in Narva Road houses also the Baltic Methodist Theological Seminary. The new sanctuary was built thanks to offerings from the members of the UMC in Estonia and abroad. The greatest support came from the Kwang Lim Methodist Church in South Korea and from the Holston Annual Conference UMC in the USA, and from special benefactors: Mary and Ralph Watson, Alan Lindsey, Lynn and Steve Caldwell, Harry and Pat Turner, and special organizations of the United States (World Evangelism, the World Methodist Council, the Friends of Estonia, the General Board of Global Ministries), from Annual Conferences in Oklahoma, North Georgia, Kentucky and South Georgia and many others. May God bless them abundantly for the help to the lesser sisters and brothers!

Upon the support of Aleksander Kuum, Russian speaking worship services were started in the church of Mere Puiestee on 18 February in 1957. Georg Lanberg became the leader of the Russian speaking ministry. The connecting congregation of the Russian speaking part of the Tallinn UMC is Pascagoula First United Methodist Church in Mississippi.

 
RocketTheme Joomla Templates